Digital Targeting for Your Advertising Campaign on Twitter
We often talk about how one big advantage of digital advertising is the digital targeting available to the advertiser. The same is true on Twitter, if not more so. Twitter, along with other social media channels, has the benefit of users providing their own information, making the targeting easier. In addition, as users log on and engage on Twitter, their profiles are updated to reflect how they behave online.
Twitter offers a wide range of digital targeting options, including:
- Language targeting
- Gender targeting
- Interest targeting. Here you can choose from a variety of categories so you are targeting people whose interests align with your campaign. Some options are:
- Follower targeting. This allows you to reach users with similar interests to those who follow accounts you identify. You can use this with your opponents within a campaign or with followers of similar organizations to yours.
- Device targeting. Target by the carrier, wifi only, type of device and more.
- Behavior targeting. Reach audiences based on their consumer behavior, lifestyle and other key attributes.
- Tailored audience targeting. Here you can upload your own list to target a specific group of Twitter users.
- Keyword targeting. Serve ads to users based on keywords they have recently tweeted or searched for on Twitter.
- Geographic targeting. Serve ads to people within a specified location, even down to the zip code.
When you are setting up your advertising campaign on Twitter, it’s important to keep in mind a few best practices.
1. Start with the basics. Make sure you select the geographic, language and device targeting that makes sense for your campaign.
2. Narrow your digital targeting type by campaign. Other than the basic targeting, focus on one type of targeting group – interests, followers, behavioral, tailored audiences – for each campaign. This will help you gain further insight into what messages work for your different audiences.
3. Test, test, test. As with all digital campaigns, it’s important to test as much as possible. Try different messages or different types of ads with your audience. Tweak the digital targeting a bit to get more granular. Making small adjustments can often result in huge gains for your campaign.
Take advantage of the targeting available to you on Twitter. It is one of the most useful tools and can really get your message in front of the right audience.
Check out our Twitter Account for content ideas here!