10 Questions to Ask Political Direct Mail Firms
Everything you Wanted to Know About Political Direct Mail Firms (But Were Afraid to Ask)
At The Campaign Workshop, we encourage and work to keep an open dialogue with our clients. When choosing a Democratic direct mail firm or any political direct mail firms, there are a number of important questions that you should be asking. Below are our top 10 questions to ask direct mail firms when it comes to your political mailers:
1. Who will work on my account? Every political direct mail firm is different. It is important that you know who you will be in contact with on a day-to-day basis, who will be working on your mail plan and designing your campaign mail. So ask.
2. Who will print my political direct mail? Sometimes political direct mail firms will print locally and other times they will print out of state. There are lots of reasons for this: quality, price, and timing all play a factor. Ask where the direct mail will be printed and why? Do this when you first talk to a political direct mail firm. If you must print your political direct mail locally there could be costs associated with that choice.
3. How much does direct mail cost? Get a price sheet for the quantities that you think you will be sending political direct mail out at. Make sure you understand what is included in the price of direct mail. The way political direct mail firms price direct mail is different based on each firm. If you want to learn more about the cost of political direct mail and how much direct mail costs, you can read more here.
4. How will the mail be tracked? Political direct mail firms should have a system to track your direct mail. Find out what it is. Some are more sophisticated than others. Your political direct mail firm should be able to show you how they do it in a systematic way.
5. How will your political direct mail be targeted? Targeting and vote goals are not discussed enough, in my opinion. This is a crucial part of your political direct mail program that warrants discussion ahead of time. Direct mail firms are experts at targeted communication and should have a great understanding of targeting voters. Your direct mail firm should link your targeted communication program with the number of votes you need to win.
6. What voter file should I use? The quality of voter files varies greatly from one area to the next, and in many places, you can get a free file from your state party. It’s important to figure this out early on in the process.
7. What else should I be using this targeting for? Your political direct mail, field, phone and online programs should use targeting that complements one another. Your direct mail firm should help you with targeting that integrates mediums.
8. How should we communicate? You need to set up a system of how you will communicate with your direct mail consultant. Who will be in charge of managing their time? How often will they talk to the candidate? Campaign manager? Work out a system at the beginning.
9. What else should I be doing besides political direct mail? Political direct mail is not the only part of your campaign. Your Democratic direct mail firm or any political direct mail firm should have experience that goes beyond political direct mail. Ask them for advice on what else you should be doing.
10. How can we win this race? Winning is the goal, and you are hiring a direct mail firm to help you win. You need to have an open and honest conversation about what it will take to do just that.
Have questions about political direct mail firms? Ask them here.
Political Direct Mail