Top 15 Grassroots Actions to resist in the coming months and years.
It's important to be focused on growing grassroots actions for the upcoming years as we move past the Trump presidency.
None of these tips are earth shattering, but good grassroots actions are defined by day in-and-out action that lasts for the long term.
1. Set aside time to talk with your family members and friends who did not vote, or voted the other way.
2. On a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, call, email, Facebook message, and tweet your member of Congress.
3. Call your legislator and ask them to meet you for a cup of coffee. Developing a personal relationship with your legislator is a big part of accountability.
4. Writing old school letters and sending it with a stamp is an underrated thing. Sending an actual letter is surprisingly effective. Add a phone number and ask for a callback.
5. Send your letter to a local newspaper if you are worried that you won't get a response. Make the letter public and push it out via traditional and social media.
6. Call or email your legislator and get them on the record supporting good legislation on the state and local level.
7. Run for office: we need to take back state legislatures. The only way to do that is to have a good team at every level.
8. Give to organizations that will be affected by the Trump administration. Helping to fund the fight against these executive orders is important to organizations such as ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Southern Poverty Law Center, local immigration groups, and many more.
9. Buy a newspaper and help make sure good journalism still exists.
10. Read what the opposition is saying in their own words so you can respond.
11. Join a community group or democratic party group.
12. Volunteer for a nonprofit.
13. Make sure your friends and family are registered to vote. This administration is going to try and purge voter rolls on a state by state basis, so make sure you and your family are registered at the correct address.
14. Get trained to run for office or to be an effective advocacy leader.
15. Don't get discouraged. This is the hard part- we need to stick together and continue fighting for progressive ideals.
Need some more tips? Check out out our 100 best Advocacy and Campaign Tools to find the perfect platform to help your resist grassroots actions!